Monday, September 28, 2009

American Dad, mailing it in, and products that some teenage girl outside of Houston is in the process of loving.

It's unfortunate that the major preoccupation of my day has been whether my inability to breathe through my right nostril is constant, or at least chronic. This seems like a question that should be easily answered. If I were to keep a "which nostril can't I breathe through today" journal, I think I'd be onto something. But I don't. I don't even keep a "snarky comments on TV shows I've watched for use in my blog" journal. Luckily, I have just enough memory to hold together enough to write a blog every once in a while. If I tried to remember snarky comments about TV shows I've recently watched, and which nostril I can and can't breathe out of day to day, I'd forget how to drive.

It was a good intro, one of my best. And yet, I'm pretty sure the following paragraphs will disappoint. It just feels like that kind of blog entry, I only hope I can come up with a you-tube clip to redeem myself.

I watched American Dad this morning. Last night there was a season premiere of all four animated Fox shows; The Simpsons, The Cleveland Show (I think that's what it's called), Family Guy, and American Dad. I love the Simpsons, always have, always will. I will ignore their decline in hilariousness and relativity until I'm laying on my death-bed. At which point I'll use my last breath to admit that the last 75 seasons of the Simpsons have been "a bit of a disappointment".

Family guy -as a series- has suffered from coming late to the dance -speaking of which, watch Glee, for the love of God! WATCH GLEE!. The Simpsons and King of the Hill -Not a big King of the Hill fan, just doesn't work for me- had plenty of time to establish their characters. Family Guy showed up after the Simpsons and KOTH had hit their full stride, and as a result had to deliver immediately. Family Guy -for the most part- has been able to achieve that, but the characters never felt personal to me, when the jokes fall flat, there's never anything else there. Family Guy is a sketch-comedy show, whereas the Simpsons is a sitcom.

Astute observation. Inspired even, perhaps this blog will be saved. I'm getting off point -also, I've read ahead... the blog won't be saved. American Dad -for whatever reason- has been able to give more time to character development, and, as such, sits right at the top of the Fox animated show pile (well, maybe right below The Simpsons, who have had no drop in quality -ever!). So this morning when I thought "I have 30 minutes of TV before I absolutely have to get out the door and on my way to work, what can I watch then blog about?" -that's right, this blog is part of my morning plan. How sad is that? Don't answer that. When I was trying to figure out what to watch, American Dad was my only logical choice. The Girlfriend would want to watch The Simpsons with me, and I don't know anything about this "Cleveland Show" deal, it could be horrible, and that may put me in the wrong place going into work.

So I watched American Dad (is anyone taking bets on how many times I say "So I watched ****" during a blog? What's the over/under? 35? 40?). It was a decent episode, not season premiere quality in my mind, but acceptable. There were two central story-lines. This is standard for AD, there's a straight story-line involving one of the family, and a zany storyline involving Roger -the Family's alien, if you're not up on your AD. This week, Roger's story-line wasn't zany enough, it had it's moments, mostly centered around the meal he wanted Francine to cook for his pay-per-view Barbara covers Celine event. I believe he described the bird as "a meal so shamefully decedent that it's eaten under a napkin to hide your shame from God". Also at some point Roger dresses Klaus -The Family's Nazi war criminal transported into a fish- as the bird and uses it to trick Haley -The Daughter- into giving him the pay-per-view code. When Haley discovers that it's Klaus and not the bird Roger intends to eat: "Sorry Haley, Roger tricked me, he told me he was going to dress me up as Mr. Wendell from the Arrested Development video".

The straight story-line was, frankly, pretty boring. There was a paint-ball Vietnam war reenactment held at a country club. A few good gags, but for the most part, there just wasn't enough pay-out.
So that's my American Dad blog... I'll see what I can come up with tonight.

Happy Monday (is there a way to specifically mark a non-exclamatory sentence?)

It's official, we will live to see Humanity eat itself. I'd recommend no more than 45 seconds of this clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment