Monday, August 24, 2009

Design Star's gayness just became slightly less overt

R.I.P slightly overweight gay Will Ferrel character. You will be missed. Mostly by the girlfriend, though I was a fan too.
This was an entertaining week on Design Star. Each contestant had their own project this week -Quote from the very odd British host "This week, you'll be working in teams of." "One."
They were given a carpenter and expected to "host" the remodel (they presented the room HGTV style, on camera, to the judges). Everyone got a "Child's room". Weird setup, though. Two contestant got 17 year-old's bedrooms. The Aforementioned Jason, and bland woman #1. Jason's 17 year old girl wanted a "pretty pretty princess room". I actually missed that whole thing, I thought she said she wanted "elegant" or something like that. But both the Girlfriend and Jason heard "Princess room". In a pretty hilarious sequence, gay Will Ferrel left his carpenter to tape and prime the walls -I have to assume he was gone at least an hour, maybe two, but when he got back the carpenter was standing in the middle of the room holding a clipboard. Nothing had been done. So Jason fired him and got a new carpenter in what seemed like a ridiculously short turn around -I'm pretty sure they found these guys betting on cock-fighting in a Home Depot parking lot and had a bunch of them backstage in case this happened.
Bland woman #1 got the 17 year old boy who likes baseball and hardwood floors. That's all. Oh, and his friends hang out there. She actually did a pretty good job, and is bland in just the right way that she could actually pull this off, despite the fact that I'd rather watch How it's Made -How it's Made is that stock-footage show that the Discovery channel runs during off hours. It shows how various things are made; Hockey pads, Twinkies, stock footage documentary shows, etc... The point being, she's very boring.
There were also two 7 year old girls who -as far as I could tell- were the same person, except one was an "environmentalist" and the other wanted an "artist's loft". Someone needs to crush those girl's spirits FAST. Anyway, Bland lady #2 got the Artist. Bland lady #2 is what happens to the little Texan girls from Toddlers and Tiaras when they grow up -that is to say, she's what happens to the ones that don't grow up to be strippers. Side note; Toddlers and Tiara's was, again, a magnificent train wreck of a show this week, though it's not nearly as good when they're in California as when they're in Texas, I know; duh. Anyway, Bland lady #2 lived up to her name, except a ridiculous fabric wall with the girl's name in big letters- Quoth the girlfriend "How funny would it be if she spelled the little girl's name wrong?" Answer -very funny. Very funny indeed. She didn't though. She just sucked.
Big eye-lash dream-boat carpenter got the other 7 year-old girl and was really excited to meet her. Really? She was an environmentalist. Apparently no one in the house throws anything away without her approval -I'm sure she's not insufferable in the least. She wanted an "eco-friendly" room. From where I stand there's not a whole lot you can do in the realm of unnecessary remodels that is particularly eco-friendly. Really, isn't the most eco-friendly thing to not use any materials at all? Of course what they mean is "More eco-friendly than another way we could have done it". And by that definition I'll concede that it was eco-friendly. For instance, they used Bamboo flooring... everywhere, on the desk, on the floor, everywhere that bamboo flooring could be used and not look totally ridiculous. Also, cutting the legs off of her dresser and spray painting it is eco-friendly. I have nothing more to say about it.
Finally, our design-carpenter from Jersey got a 5 year-old boy who had, apparently, been given 5 Red-Bulls prior to the taping. At one point, ummm... let's call him Antonio, that works for a Jersey Design-Carpenter, right? At one point Antonio was asking the little boy/future president about his interests. Apparently the little boy was interested in using his tongue to stop the twirling blades on what appeared to be a battery powered toy helicopter. I can't possibly do it justice in writing, if only I were a poet. Anyway, the kid was out of control, but seemed to like dinosaurs and spaghetti. Antonio did a good job with absolutely no guidelines, there were some fake rocks and dinosaurs, the kid liked it... there you go.
Overall, I thought it was an odd challenge; a) I think it would be an odd child, aged 5-17, that would register a complaint with the room remodel; b) the age ranges 5, 7, 17, are three totally different scenarios. Maybe different enough to be three different challenges; And c) Four of the contestants were in one house, one of the Bland women (I think #1) was in a separate house, does it matter? dunno, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
When all was said and done it was, in fact, the blonde judge who came out ahead in this episode with two fantastic lines; First, she told Antonio -Note, I don't think that's his name- that he was "the Tony Soprano of design" then did the worst stereotypical Jersey/Italian accent in the history of stereotypical Jersey/Italian accents. Second after Jason's outburst of "I'm SO gay!" she responds with something along the lines of "You're just a little cream-puff! I want to carry you around in my purse and snack on you!!"... classic.
I'd love to leave you with a clip of our future president and his helicopter. Alas, I couldn't find any. So I'll leave you with this; Groundbreaking? No. Old News? Yes. Of questionable taste? Oh yes. Still, it makes me giggle, and I'm still all excited that I can embed youtube videos in my blog.

1 comment:

  1. His name IS Antonio!


    btw... enjoyed the mini sirloin burgers immensely

    ReplyDelete