Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dating Merekats in the Dark

I was mostly finishing up shows I already wrote about last night -I have nothing to add about the end of Design Star except that it appears that the judges make their decision based solely on what looks to be a highly edited "highlight reel" of the room and the contestants ability to convincingly throw their teammates under the bus.This leaves me with little confidence in their judgement... especially Vern Yip... what's the deal with that guy? Also... end of Marley and me? Well, you know how when you eat American Cheese you can tell that it was created to taste like cheese? The end of Marley and me feels like it was created to feel like sentiment. The most effective thing that movie does is remind you of the fact that your dog will die, that makes me sad without Owen Wilson. Also, when she puts her necklace in the dogs grave before they bury it... are you kidding me?! Where do these people live?! Honestly, I almost expected Owen Wilson to yell out "Did you just throw your necklace into the Dog's grave? Are you out of your mind?!". It seemed almost too sappy even for a movie so clearly aimed at making you cry that it should have been called "Remember the dog you had when you were growing up? He was a great dog, wasn't he? Remember when your parents put him to sleep? Remember that? boy that was sad! I bet you're sad right now just thinking about it."
When I wasn't finishing watching something I wrote about yesterday -and let's be honest, my most astute observations are based on movies or TV shows that I haven't finished. We watched "Dating in the Dark" -is that what it's called? Doesn't really matter, here's the premise; they find six relatively abnormal people -these people were surprisingly unattractive for TV. I mean there's ugly, and there's TV ugly. Clearly this show is not abiding by the standards of "TV ugly". So they take the weird looking people and put them in a house for a few days... I say a few days because I didn't catch any indication of how long they were there, but it was clearly more than one day, also clearly not long enough for the majority of the reactions the contestants(?)gave to the results. There were a few times last night that the girlfriend said "it's only been two days!". I'm not sure if she caught something I didn't but it seems like there's a good chance of that being the case. So The house is split into two halves with a room in the middle that's totally dark (where they date... get it? Dating in the Dark... get it?). So first they introduce all six people to us and show them going into the house, etc -here's a hint; if someone says "I need someone with a strong personality because I have a strong personality. I don't want to walk all over them, but I will"... probably not an incredibly stable person, I'm just sayin'. So then they take all six people and put them in the dark room together. Immediately the crazier of the people will take control of the conversation and call the quiet ones out for being quiet -I've only watched the one week, but I think it's a safe bet that this happens every week. I could keep going, but there's just so many holes in the show, it actually turned the girlfriend from "I don't want to stop watching this tonight, but let's not watch it next week" to "Now I have to watch it next week!"... my point being it's a superior car wreck of a show, just humanity at it's worst. One more highlight... they have them look through the other side's cars -"we're hiding their faces because we don't want the matches to be superficial, but here! look what they drive!". So they're looking through the cars, and one of the guys has a box of condoms in his cup holder!!!! Seriously! How do the condoms even get there in order for him to forget to take them out of the cup holder?! I have never been in a position where I could possibly forget a box of condoms in my cup holder... never.
That's it for this thrilling installment of "I watch too much TV". I'm going to leave you with this, courtesy of the girlfriend -who greatly dislikes the fact that I call her "the girlfriend", I'll come up with something better, I promise. Anyway, here's a British commercial... enjoy, and ask yourself why we ever left.

1 comment:

  1. Sergei! Simples!

    Clearly disregard my earlier comment about the necklace, you've covered that very thoroughly. I wonder what I'll make you watch tonight...

    ReplyDelete