Wednesday, December 30, 2009

End of Decade List

So I called it my "End of Decade" list because I really wanted it to have that "End of Decade" punch, but here's the thing; whether it's an "End of Decade" list or an "End of Year" list really depends on what I do next year, right? I mean, if I do something strikingly similar, then this is going to kind of feel like an "End of Year" list, but if I wait 10 years before doing another list (impossible, we'll all be dead by then... 2012 People! It's in the Bible) then this will seem like an "End of Decade" list... it's a tough call. Regardless, with the end of the decade fast approaching everyone's clamoring over each other to list things and as the list of "End of Decade" lists got longer, I found myself thinking "What?! Do they think they're better than Me?!"

So without further ado, here's my list of 100 things!


  1. Lime Juice - if orange juice and lemon juice came to a party, and they had a child and you were like "That child could be theirs, or it could be adopted, it's hard to call also it's good on Mexican food." that child would be lime juice.
  2. Spaceships
  3. Racket Balls - When I was a kid, I loved racket balls... don't know why, maybe it was the blue, maybe it was the rubber, maybe it was because when you open a can of them they smell like old fake peanuts.
  4. Toothpaste
  5. Canned Tomatoes
  6. Retirement Plans
  7. Third Base –The second most advantageous place to be, offensively, in baseball. Also slang for an arguable array of adolescent sexual conquests.
  8. Texas
  9. John Leguizamo - The Jerk... Well, that's all I can think of. I know he did other stuff, no time for a trip to IMDb though, I've got 97 more items on this list!
  10. Mid-day
  11. Ontario (Canadian province)
  12. Ontario (California)
  13. Horse-Diving –Remember that movie about the girl who went blind from horse high-diving? Also, remember in Braveheart when he jumped the horse into the moat? Awesome.
  14. The color red - the go to color for things that you want in red. less effective for things that you want in green.
  15. Operation
  16. “Softly”
  17. Flatware
  18. 67
  19. Name Tags - the world’s second most efficient name delivery device.
  20. Time
  21. The Concept of “Time” –yeah, you’d think I’d have something to say about this, I don’t.
  22. Tree Frogs
  23. Questions - Seriously, where would my blog be without them? Where would my life be without them? Where would any of our lives be without them?
  24. Textiles
  25. Fairhaven
  26. Mayan Calendar- More date combinations than Heidi Fleiss -Zing! Take that mid 90's pop culture reference and "Hollywood Madam"! I certainly took her down a peg. Also it predicts the grisly end of the human race or something.
  27. Queen Victoria
  28. Jell-O
  29. Existence
  30. Trains
  31. The Dodge Challenger - Honestly, I don't know much about it, but it's a thing. This is a long list of things.
  32. Pineapple
  33. Heidi Fleiss - Hmm. Heidi Fleiss beat out the very thing with which I zinged her -on my own list of things. Now I've been taken down a peg.
  34. Text
  35. Murphy Brown –Sass by the boatload!
  36. Extreme Sports
  37. Quitting - Constant companion, always whispering in my ear that there is a better way.
  38. Doing things half assed -A little more work than quitting, but can often be played off as "an honest effort"
  39. Murderous Rampages
  40. IMDb - Honestly, if my blog came with a bibliography, it would look like this:
    1. IMDb.com
    2. Mike's Big Book of Made Up Stuff

    Also, it would be incorrectly formatted.
  41. Bunny Rabbits
  42. Sticky Notes
  43. Patagonia (The region of Argentina)
  44. They Might Be Giants –Nothing in particular about them… I was just reading an interview with John Flansburgh (he’s in TMBG) and I thought to myself; “I like them”.
  45. Contextualizing things
  46. Facing your own mortality –more difficult, but ultimately more rewarding than facing someone else’s mortality.
  47. Actions –Particularly the ones that “speak louder than words”
  48. Old Timey Bicycles
  49. Terms of Service - the second least read collection of words in the English language. The first; Sarah Palin's Going Rouge. -I know what I wrote.
  50. People that think they’re better than their old man
  51. People that think they’re better than me
  52. People that think they’re too good for conventional fabrics
  53. Adolescents that think they’re too cool to be dropped off by Mom in front of their school.
  54. Sarah Palin - in 2008 she proved that "I'll be more attractive than your average fat old white guy" was a valid campaign promise. Also she was zinged by me on thing # 52.
  55. Nature
  56. Any list that involves a run on “people that think they’re better than, or too good for, something”
  57. Accents –Not the talky kind, the kind that tie a room together
  58. Accents –The talky kind
  59. Eternal Youth
  60. Sandals - One thing's for sure; they cover less of your feet than conventional shoes!
  61. People that hold steadfast to music that anyone in their 30's probably listened to and liked at some point, but we should all be ashamed of.
  62. People that use jokes about their friend's musical tastes to advance their blog's dumb "End of Something" list
  63. The US Postal Service
  64. Calvin urinating on things
  65. Cincinnati - considered to have been the first American boomtown in the heart of the country in the early nineteenth century to rival the larger coastal cities in size and wealth.
  66. Kayaks
  67. James Taylor
  68. James Gandolfini
  69. Pregnancy – The most effective way to propagate our species. The Second most effective? Destroy the Mayan Calendar and avoid the destruction it promises.
  70. Nostalgia –The #1 way to make things better than they were.
  71. Patriotism –Best if it’s misdirected.
  72. Thresholds
  73. The word “Labradoodle”
  74. Kirk Cameron –If there’s anything better than regular faith-based passive aggressive conversion campaigns, it’s cleverly organized faith-based passive-aggressive conversion campaigns to be carried out on college campuses nation-wide. Also, he was in Growing Pains with Boner.
  75. Boner –Not like that! Jesus!
  76. Low Hanging Fruit
  77. Synergy
  78. Trespassing
  79. Exact Matches
  80. Acronyms
  81. The Blues – “The Blues isn’t about making yourself feel better, it’s about making other people feel worse” –Bleeding Gums Murphy (may not be true). Also, it’s a nice portion of the color spectrum.
  82. The Anasazi
  83. Chewing Gum
  84. The Wikipedia page for “Spells in Harry Potter
  85. Dentistry
  86. WikiHow
  87. Pottery –You ask; “What has pottery done for me?” I ask; “What hasn’t pottery done for you?”
  88. The Volkswagen Thing –Apparently it’s known in the United Kingdom as the “Trekker”… so am I.
  89. Canaries
  90. "Feathery"
  91. Personification –There are a lot of things. If you’re going to make something something else, why not a person?
  92. Wood –A major component in wooden boats, wooden houses, woods, etc…
  93. Weightlessness –I’ve never experienced it myself… but it seems pretty cool, no?
  94. The grisly end of the human race –As discussed in thing #75. What would the Mayan calendar, the book of Revelations, Nostradamus, and the Discovery Channel do without it?
  95. Hyperbole –The unrivaled absolute champion for delivery of anecdotes… Unrivaled
  96. Jesus –Some people think he’s God in human form, some people think he’s just a guy. Something everyone can agree on; He -at the very least- exists as a concept.
  97. Me –Yes, I beat out Jesus… well it’s my list, isn’t it?!
  98. Inconsistency –Like, say, listing 100 things as though they have no rank or meaning, then occasionally commenting on one thing ranking higher than another thing.
  99. “End of something” lists –There’s no better way to sum up a period of time than a hastily put together list.
  100. The FiancĂ© –Call it a self serving #1 on my list of things, I don’t care. Call it “sappy” or “Persian” or "elegant", even “exemplary” I don’t care. You don’t like it, get your own list.

I sincerely thank all three of you for reading! Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love your Braveheart link. What a powerful scene from the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That part of the movie always brings me to the edge of tearing up. I know it's not very manly to admit it, but it's true.

    ReplyDelete